Thursday, May 21, 2020

Thursday, May 21, 2020

When this Coronavirus first started and we had to close, I thought we would have lots of extra time to do different things here.  Well, things have actually been super busy, every single week, every single day.  And yes, we do indeed have to do things differently---maybe that is why each week is so busy.  Everyday has been full, it seems. 

We had 2 adoptions yesterday. 
Marin--kitten of Kimmie.  Went to her new home and will be friends with an old, gentle giant of a dog.  She now has her very own mama!

Lynnie--kitten of Kimmie.  Went to her new home with a dad, mom and a little boy (grandsom to parents).  Lynnie was the first of the 8 kittens to have a hold put on her. 

Here is an email from Lynnie:
Dear Mama Jacci, Thank you for rescuing me, loving on me, helping me grow up and find a home. 
I am so happy! I enjoyed my car ride to Fort Wayne and didn’t cry at all. I just watched my new parents and then fell asleep on my purple mama.  When I got to my new home it was like Christmas! So many new toys and a nice little boy too...he’s their grandson.  I used the litter box right away (and did both jobs) ate a little dinner then play, play, play!  Soon it was time to go upstairs to get ready for bed...I was tired! The little boy had been nice to me so I crawled up in his lap and gave him my first purr. He was so happy! He then read me a book until I fell asleep.  
When I woke up about an hour later, he wasn’t there so I went looking for my mom. She was right there sleeping on the floor! I snuggled up to her chin, turned on my purr box and slept the rest of the night with her. I didn’t cry at all...probably because I know I am loved lots here! 
Thank you mama Jacci for finding me the perfect home...I love you!
Love, Lynnie 

THIS is what it's all about and what our gift is to each and every cat and kitten that comes to FFRC--their very own home.  

Yesterday was also Visitation Day--designed for people to have a certain time slot to come and see the available kittens.  We put those kittens in the back Thumper's Room.  Each family is allowed an hour to visit.  By the end of the day, we had 4 more cats on hold---Tooley, Rascus, Jenga and Temba.  
Temba will leave Friday morning around 9:00 am.
The other 3 kittens have to be spayed/neutered before their adoption can take place.  
We have another VIsitation Day on Friday--2 more families coming in the morning to visit.

We also took on another kitten yesterday. And she had to have a beautiful name.  The reason is because she was crying and a very nice couple found her---in a trash container.  She is most certainly NOT trash. Her name is Xibowa which means flower.  It's pronounced Shi BOW uh.  
Xibowa is all black except for a white tummy.  She weighs 14 ounces. Her birthday is 4/18/20, making her 4 1/2 weeks old.  This morning, I had to draw blood for her leukemia/fiv/heartworm test. And she was crying. That dear sweet Minnie jumped up on the counter and tried to take her away from me.  Minnie---an absolute gem of a mama.  As soon as I was done, I gave Xibowa to Minnie to be comforted. She snugged up to Minnie's tummy.  If there's anyone out there that doesn't believe cats have feelings, they should have witnessed that. 

Today is a Flash Sale at 11:00--there's many individual items!  This sale will help us with our utility bills (yes, still need to work on these).  Also today at 1:00 is our Thursday Trivia.  

We have some thanks to give!
Andrew G--donation to FFRC
Fran D--donation to FFRC in honor of Ramsay and Marilyn's birthdays!
YvonneVDK--donation to be used where needed the most
Alexandra U from IL--donation to FFRC
Kelly I--donation to FFRC
Uwe N--donation in memory of Mowgli. And another donation for the Feliz Navidad Fund and in honor of Ramsay and Marilyn's birthday!

On Monday, Lucas had his dental. Lucas is a Covie. This turned into a major deal with him--2 1/2 hours.  He was thought to have aspirated but not 100% sure.  X-rays had to be done and lab work.  His heart also seems quite big.  Will do a blood test for cardiomyopathy.  All of his meds have had to be given by injection as he doesn't want anything in his mouth.  He's been given SQ fluids twice a day. Just this morning though he licked up his breakfast! So, hoping today forward are all good days now.  I'm sure he's anxious to get back out with his Covie friends. 

Tonio's Den.  I've been asked to pass on his story as it's been awhile since it's been said.  Tonio's Den is part of our towel cabinet, under the countertop that we prepare food at. 
"To know about Tonio's Den you first must know about Tonio. Tonio was an awesome cat. He arrived at FFRC when he was 12 years old. The people who were his family said their vet told them that he had diabetes and they just didn't want to deal with it.  This wonderful soul was handed over without as much as a hug. We named him Tonio. He was part Siamese with gorgeous blue eyes. He was a gentle boy. He liked everyone, never fussed at anyone, just wanted to be loved. The odd thing is, he never showed a single sign of having diabetes and was never treated for it here at FFRC.  Tonio was good to everyone--cats, kittens, dogs and people. He just enjoyed being alive and knowing he was loved. His absolute favorite place to sleep was in the cabinet under the counter. This is where the towels were stored and it was always good for a comfy sleep.  He learned how the doors would open very easily. Soon the other cats and kittens figured it out too.  Many times there would be a pile of cats sleeping away in what we now call Tonio's Den. One year, we were able to get new cabinets and we decided the far right door still had to have Tonio's Den painted on it. The kittens and cats have learned how to open these cupboard doors too. There came a time that Tonio slowed up and it was in the fall of 2010, after being with us for 4 years.  By now he was 16 years old. It was time to say goodbye to this good old boy. Some of us circled him physically and with love, he was allowed to pass to kitty heaven. This boy was missed tremendously and we still think of him fondly.  A truly gentle boy."

And those towel cabinets still continue to be a sleep zone for some of the cats!  No worries---they cannot get locked inside them. There's no latches or hooks.  It just takes a pull with a claw to open and a push with a paw to go back out!  

I know some of you have been concerned with the major rain we got three days ago.  Probably the most rain I've ever seen at one time here in Defiance.  Yes, our rivers are flooded.  But we are not flooded here at FFRC, even though the river is right across our road and the backwater is behind us. But, the farmyard was underwater for a full day. The ducks and geese loved it! But, we are dry here inside FFRC. 

Thanks to you all for being a part of this Rescue Center.  Take good care and stay healthy.  BOXES are Friday at 1:00.  See you at our Flash Sale today at 11:00!